Forty-two years ago, Earth Day was established to create awareness and appreciation of our precious – and increasingly fragile – planet. Celebrated on April 22nd, Earth Day has over a billion participants around the world. Individuals, businesses, schools and governments commemorate what has been achieved and discuss what remains to be done to protect Earth. And even better news – over the years, Earth Day has evolved into Earth Week and Earth Month. One day the global focus on protecting our environment will become a way of life. There are many minor changes you can make in your daily routine that will benefit our planet, here are a few ways you can celebrate Earth month by being environmentally conscious.
Things you can do to celebrate Earth Month
Photo by Larisa Birta on Unsplash
- Reduce your carbon footprint. Try different alternatives to driving whenever possible. Walking, biking, carpooling, and even riding the bus whenever you can be extremely helpful. The less cars that are on the road, the better off our atmosphere will be in the long run.
- Volunteer your spare time to organizations that make an effort to preserve our environment. The Greater Victoria Green Team is a local organization that motivates and encourages the community to get outside, get their hands dirty and restore habitat.
- Switch all your bills to e-bills and online invoices. Making the switch can save millions of trees each year.
- Stop drinking bottled water! Reusable water bottles are inexpensive and will not only save you money but will also benefit our planet and lower the amount of waste in our landfills and dumps. The same goes for reusable coffee mugs which are accepted at most coffee shops.
- Have you made the switch to energy efficient light bulbs? There are many benefits to energy efficient lighting. LED light bulbs can last up to 10 times longer than compact fluorescent, and 40 times longer than typical incandescent bulbs. Making the change will save you time, money and energy.
- Get out and enjoy nature in a special way. Go for a hike, walk through the woods, visit a park. Do something that gets you in touch with nature to remind you how beautiful our planet really is and how important it is to do our part to keep it that way. Get outdoors, breathe the fresh air, feel the sun on your cheeks and absorb some Vitamin D. You will feel inspired to treat everyday like it’s Earth Day.
Photo by Michael Henry on Unsplash
There are lots of things you can do to benefit the Earth, the list doesn’t just end here. It can be overwhelming to try and make drastic life changes all at once. Do what you can when you can. Don’t just leave it to Earth Day/Week/Month to think environmentally friendly. Imagine how much more we could accomplish if we applied these changes for the rest of the year and make taking care of environment a habitual way of living.
Pacific Landing has put emphasis on sustainability in both the ecology on the property and the design of our waterfront condos. Working with Patrick Lucey, Sr. Aquatic Ecologist, our goal has been to improve the ecology on site and preserve the natural habitats of the wildlife. In our condos we have added solar panels to help offset common area energy consumption and additional conduits have been added to allow for the installation of future panels to the building as we expand. Each suite also features its own energy efficient hot water on demand tank, which eliminates the energy being wasted by keeping 40+ gallons of water hot in storage tank. Register with us today to learn more about how you can join our sustainable waterfront community.