For those members of our Pacific Landing community who were able to attend the informative Hardwood Floors 101 class last week, we learned a lot about caring, fixing and cleaning our beautiful hardwood floors. A great place to start with caring for your hardwood is the 3 Laws of Floor Happiness.
3 Laws of Hardwood Floor Happiness
- Take your shoes off at the front door (or wear indoor slippers or stockings).
- Put felt pads on everything! Secret tips:
- Felt pads can be bought at the dollar store – a low cost investment for long-term protection! Hit your dining room chairs first.
- If you want your felt pads to last for a long time, take a little compact cement, put it on the felt pad, let it sit for a few seconds and then tap it on.
- Depending on your lifestyle, you will want to clean your felt pads every few months with a vacuum.
Photo by Anthony de Kroon
- Never ever drag anything whatsoever over the floor, EVER.
In the rare case that you did not follow the 3 Laws of Floor Happiness religiously, there are ways to repair damages made to your hardwood. How to fix your floor:
- For dents, you can utilize a touch up kit. These can be ordered from Mirage (phone or online) and ask for the Savannah Black Walnut (for the dark floors).
- For scratches:
- Superficial: touch up kit should do the trick.
- Deep scratch: likely will need to replace a board.
When you stick to the 3 laws and do not need to worry about repairs or replacements, one of the most commonly asked questions is how to properly clean your floors. Well lucky for you we’ve got answers:
- You only need to use cleaner every couple of weeks.
- Water and wood don’t mix – top finishes are waterproof but if water falls into the seams it can cause damage. If you want to use a wet cloth, make sure it’s not very damp and all water has been squeezed out of it.
- Sweeping or vacuuming the floors should be the primary maintenance method.
- When cleaning, spray a light mist or can even spray directly onto the head of the mop or cleaning instrument: push in the direction of the wood.
- Recommended to use welcome mats on the inside and outside of your home.
Photo by Ayo Ogunseinde on Unsplash
- Recommended cleaning brand is Bona, Swiffer is also good (if it says wood floors).
Fun Fact: Wood is the only type of flooring that can be repaired and refinished! The hardwood floors installed into our homes at Pacific Landing are scratch resistant and come with a 35-year warranty on your floor finishes.
Now that you know how to properly care for your hardwood floors you can focus on more important things in life like relaxing with family and friends over the holidays!